I love trifle, the mixture of pudding, cake, whipped cream and berries totally does it for me. It’s fun, it’s decadent, it combines my favorite kinds of dessert, and you can get really creative with it. I want to say that this XO Almond Berry Trifle is perfect for Valentine’s Day – and it is – but really, it’s great for anytime you want something wonderfully fantastic! The flavors of the almond vanilla pudding, mixed berries, and chocolate and vanilla cake make this trifle one of my favorites.
You can be real fancy and make both the cakes, pudding, and whipped cream from scratch. Personally, I’m not above a good store bought cake – although for the chocolate cake I used a doctored cake mix. Also, I use just a smidge less milk for the Jell-O instant pudding mix because it makes the mix a bit thicker and works better with the trifle. And feel free to change the berries up to suit your preference!
- 1 Package Each of Raspberries, Blackberries, Blueberries, & Cherries
- 1 Large Box of Jell-O Vanilla Instant Pudding
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons of Almond Extract
- 1 2/3rd Cups of Milk (for the Jell-O Mix)
- 1/2 a Loaf Entemann’s Pound Cake
- Chocolate Cake (You can make this before hand, or just buy premade from the store)
- Whipped Cream – I use the canned kind, or you can easily make it from scratch
- Make one box of Jello-O Vanilla Instant Pudding, add the almond extract and mix thoroughly and set aside. Prepare your berries by washing, and in the case of the cherries, pitting.
- Cube both the vanilla and chocolate cake – keep seperate, as you’ll want to layer them in seperately.
- Layer, in this order, chocolate cake, whipped cream, pitted cherries, blackberries, 1/2 of the vanilla almond pudding, pound cake, remaining pudding, raspberries & blueberries.
- Serve with whipped cream. It’s a little messy, but boy is it delicious! Enjoy!